Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Perception

Perception is a funny thing. In the state of the world today, we look at a person and intantly judge them by their outward appearance. Those of us that are aware, strive to curb that flaw and seek to learn about each person we encounter, and never judge.

I have had very few issues in life in regards to being judged for being pagan (thankfully). We are not all that lucky, and many of us are still curled up in a corner of our broom closets wishing we could step out and face the world. It is a hard decision, with so many religious institutions out there condemning what it is we believe or do; but at some point the bravery steps in and we make that step to open the door.

I came from what some would call a broken home. My Mother and Father divorced at an early age, and in many ways it forced me to mature much quicker than other kids (not to say that I can't be an immature crazy person now and again). I was raised to be kind and gentle, to love others and be helpful to people and the world around me. I was taught to hold the door open for the person behind me, say please and thank you, and not act out inappropriately.

I like to try different foods, and experience different cultures. I enjoy watching television, movies, and reading, and even the occasional nap. I love to go to the beach or a park and be close to nature, or even go shopping (though this is on rare occasion). I learned to take care of my loved ones, and treat others the way that I would like to be treated.

I enjoy surfing the internet, and playing video games. I like fantasty, sci-fi, thrillers, horrors, comedy and action movies (heck of a list huh?). I was taught to honor the ones that we have lost and love the ones that are here.

I am not unlike you, your Aunt, Brother, or Friend. I share with you many of the same interests, and the same morals and values. In fact I woudl go as far to say that if we were to meet, we would become good friends.

Behind all of this, I am Pagan. Now you turn away, you explain to me how wrong that is, and that we cannot become friends with each other, even through all the things we have in common. You dissagre with my way of life, with my beleif. You chastise me for having the audacity to not believe in "your" God, in "your" religious system.

I will smile at you. I will not judge you by your beliefs. I will not judge you for your actions of judging me (that is not my place). I will allow you to speak your words and allow that negativity to sink before me. I do not comdemn you for what you beleive.

Perception. If you know me you know all of these thigns about me. You are a friend that sees me for the person I am whether you agree with me or not (happily many of you do). Others perceive me to be evil, malicious, vindictive. None of these things are the person that I am, and yet perception rules their eyes and closes their heart.

I ask each and every one of you, do not judge, do not allow perception to run the gambit of your life and close your heart and mind. Allow others to be free, teach tolerance and love and in the end you will be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment